Monday, December 5, 2016

Boycotting Corporatism

In my previous post, I critiqued an injustice boycott put together by an "activist". In this writing, I will discuss a personal boycott that I am doing, and why I am doing it. If I had a platform as viable as the "activist" mentioned above, I would definitely roll out this as a "strategy" to effective boycotting of corporatism in America.

Since probably the only people that read this is my own parents (hi mom) if even them, I will just have to "lead by own example". I do not need the masses to come together to hold myself accountable and that is, in part, one of my goals in 2017 as I move forward as an aware, well-rounded individual.

So, the first thing is understand what I mean by Corporatism. Corporatism is the philosophy that government and corporations are in bed together. I have heard the term used interchangeably with hypercapitalism. I really don't care what you call it. What it is, is exactly what we are living in.

There are many honest and genuine critiques of capitalism as whole. All of these critiques are valid. But truthfully, I believe even capitalism could be checked and balanced, if it weren't for this hypercapitalistic In another post, I will discuss why I think America should operate, separate from corporations, but I do not want to derail.

Now, one thing I am is pragmatic. I understand that it is absolutely impossible to boycott all corporations. Even if 100% of all my purchases were from small businesses, I would still indirectly support corporations. Where do they get their materials? Products? Office buildings even?

It just isn't possible to totally disconnect.

It is, however, possible to target some of the major offenders that damage our economy and truly harm people. So, in order to do that, I will outline some items of "offenses" that are most egregious. I will then independently research different major corporations to find out where they fit on this scale of ethics.

1. I will divest from Corporations who do not within their bylaws support protections of their personnel and customers on the basis of gender identity and sexual orientation.

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 requires (technically--but that's another story) that all businesses hire, serve, promote etc. people of all genders, religions, races, national origins and colors. Later legislation was introduced to "protect" people with disabilities and those over the age of 40.

I am well aware that these laws are often not followed---and that is a topic to be addressed. But the fact is, they cannot blatantly discriminate on those categories and that is a step.

Many states, including Florida, however, do not protect LGBTQ customers or employees from adverse job action.

It isn't about whether or not the company WILL discriminate but rather that they are OKAY with allowing it, if it suits them.

For this reason, I must make a conscious choice to personally divest from these organizations.

2. I will divest from Corporations who largely benefit from free prison labor.

First, I should mention, it is probably impossible to completely boycott companies that benefit from this labor. In short, it's probably every company in some way or some degree. However, the goal is identify companies that largely benefit from it or have this embedded in their practices or supply chains.

3. I will divest from Corporations who largely benefit from overseas slave labor/trafficking.

Again, this is probably not something we can positively, fully avoid. However, some companies undoubtedly benefit from this practice. As a result, I must make the conscious choice to not support these businesses.

4. I will divest from Corporations who chose to support/donate to organizations aimed at discriminating or harming the LGBT community.

5. I will divest from Corporations who directly support the National Rifle Association.

6. I will divest from Corporations who avoid paying a large portion of their taxes owed.

This one will probably prove to be one of the mostly challenging feats to fight. But perhaps it can be done!

In turn, however, I will need to shift my investments elsewhere, whenever possible. This will get tricky as the different criterion intersect.

1. I will invest in local businesses whenever possible, ideally locally owned but when not available, locally owned franchises. 

2. I will invest in companies that openly protect and support LGBT people.

3. I will invest in companies that have (in general) good records of treating their employees well, including in pay, in avoiding discrimination and in working conditions (including safety.)

4. I will invest in companies that largely operate in the United States and employ Americans.

This is going to be a challenge for sure. Identifying all these categories and making the conscious effort to truly follow-through. And certainly, it doesn't cover all the bases we need to combat the Corporatism. But as they say, "vote with your dollars".

As I identify companies that meet the criterion above, both in invest and divest, I will mention them publicly. I will also write to each company so they know why I am not purchasing from them.

I know that I, individually, do not have the power to damage their bottom lines. But I do believe that every "drop in the bucket" matters.

And who knows, maybe this will inspire others to do the same.

Tell me? Any criterion I missed that I should have strongly considered? Any companies you recommend getting the 2017 axe? Any companies that deserve the patronage?

I am all ears!

Much love,
ArchAngel O:)


3 comments:

  1. Took the words right out of my head. I would add, businesses that use religion as an excuse to change the law. For that reason I have been boycotting Hobby Lobby. (Waves to your parents.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Took the words right out of my head. I would add, businesses that use religion as an excuse to change the law. For that reason I have been boycotting Hobby Lobby. (Waves to your parents.)

    ReplyDelete