Friday, December 9, 2016

Fiction: Short Story: 911 Call

This is another one.

The topic was You are a 911 Operator, you receive a call from your neighbor. I wrote:

It was a normal graveyard at the communications center. I was exhausted. My wife and I had been arguing for the last three weeks. I loved Susan but I swear to God she knows how to really push my buttons! Our two boys were in middle school and were starting to get rebellious. We really needed a vacation but could not afford it at the time being. We were burnt. Both of us had highly stressful jobs, her as a trauma nurse and myself as an emergency dispatcher. Doing this job for fifteen years I was pretty desensitized to some of the most troubling things imaginable. But I wasn't prepared for this call:

"911, what is your emergency?"

All I heard was a harrowing scream! "911, dispatch. Please state the nature of your emergency!"

"Sir, sir!" a frantic woman is yelling. "They're going to kill us!"

"Who is? I am sending the police. Who is going to kill you?"

I hear what sounds like a struggle in the background, followed by a bloodcurdling scream.

"Gary!!!!!" I hear the caller yell. "Lord! No! Please send help!"

I dispatch the police and the ambulance. That is when I noticed the address. 5457 Wilcox Lane...that was my neighbor to the right. Gary Jackson and his family lived there. What was going on? Was there a burglar? Was my family safe? It became harder to focus on the call.

"Ma'am, I know you are afraid. But please, are you able to tell me what's happening?"

"These monsters!" It must've been Clare Jackson talking. "These monsters have us tied up! We are tied up! They came in here in the middle of the night! And they're torturing my husband and my children. I'm tied up across from them, forced to watch. This sadistic bitch is here watching me! She put the phone up to me so I could call."

I hear a distant cackle. Shortly after, I hear the sound of children screaming in pain.

"She's kicking the shit out of my children! Somebody stop her!"

"The police are on their way! Ma'am, who is she?"

I heard the sound of another painful scream from the caller. Then I heard gasping, it sounded like now she was being choked.

"Ma'am! Ma'am!"

It went silent for awhile except for the sound of children crying in the background. I continued screaming, alert as ever, thinking about my dear family praying they were okay.

Suddenly, I hear the phone drop to the ground. But a moment later, I hear shuffling as though someone is picking it up.

"By the time the police get here, my children and I will be dead too!" A voice on the other end said, hauntingly.

It was Susan.

No comments:

Post a Comment