Friday, December 9, 2016

Fiction: Short Story: End of the World

I wrote this on Reddit back in September in a writing group.

The topic was 5 minutes before before the world ends and everybody dies, two best friends are having their final conversation. Here's my response:

The moments leading up were intense. A freakin' meteor coming for Earth. I couldn't believe it! All these conspiracy theories I lived through about the world ending and here it was. At the ripe age of twenty-three, it was about to be over.

Shane was my best friend since at least the third grade. We went way back. His first girlfriend and eventual first heartbreak. That time I got suspended from high school for vandalizing the school's mascot. Sneaking out late to meet up with girls. Frat parties and beer pong. There was no one I would rather have been with in these last moments before the fatal blow to the Earth.

"I can't believe this man, I am scared," Shane welled up. "What happens next?"

"I don't know," I responded calmly, stroking my blonde hair. "I don't know man but whatever it is, we will find out soon."

"I had big dreams. I wanted to be a doctor, I've been working so fucking hard. And it's all gone. None of it matters. None of those times I stayed at work instead of spending time with family, to make a buck. All that, pointless."

"I guess even if this wasn't happening, it would still be pointless bro." I looked at his soulful blue eyes, filled with tears. In our years of friendship, I never saw him cry. Guess this would be the first and last time.

"I never got to know the meaning of life." His hands covered his sorrowful face.

I leaned it and gave him a hug, with a pat on the back. "I don't think anybody did. I don't even know what the meaning is." I released him as we looked up at the sky. The fiery meteors were visible and had been for some time. That is the only reason we knew it wasn't a hoax. Sitting on that rooftop, gazing at the sky, it was almost beautiful despite the fact that it was going to destroy us, literally.

The time was limited. Looking outward I could see people frantic in the town, as though there was anything they could do to change the course of it now.

"I never got to fall in love, I never got to truly fall in love. And no one has ever fallen in love with me," Shane weeped.

I looked at him and let out a sigh. "That's not true man, lots of people love you."

"You know what I mean,"

"I've been in love with you since the third grade, Shane."

He looked stunned. "Are you fucking with me Greg because now isn't really the time."

I grabbed his shoulder. "No, man. I'm not. I'm in love with you. I have been for a long time and I've never been bold enough to tell you. But now I just did, so I guess I can cross that regret off my list." I felt a giant weight lift off my back.

"I've known you for fucking ever, you're gay?"

"It's complicated," I said. "But fuck all that. I'm in love with you Shane Watkins, that's all I know."

In the heat of that moment it got silent. But then the heat really turned up. The meteors were making their way to landfall. My skin was scolding hot. We could hear the screams of people on the streets, the shrills of children not understanding why it felt like they were on fire. I took a quick glance above knowing the end was near. It was probably the most freeing moment in my life.

I looked over again at Shane's beautiful, masculine face. I wiped a tear away from his face and smiled. He reached out and gave me a hug. We were just about to die. If I had a choice, I would have loved to live longer. But since I wasn't given that choice, at least I was going to die in the arms of the man I love.

3 comments: