Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Status Quo Fragility: Part 3

So, as I have discussed in my past two posts here and here, the status quo is very fragile! It doesn't like to be challenged. Using Robin DiAngelo's trigger points to discuss white fragility, I have found that these trigger points are very applicable to other parts of the status quo as well.

Today's topic is Christian fragility.

I use Christian as part of the status quo because it is. Respectability to Christianity is still a fabric of our society. Christians will have you believe there is a domestic war on Christianity here but actually, that is part of the fragility in itself.

Challenge to Objectivity--Just like with the previous two aspects of status quo fragility, those in the Christian faith tend to dislike being told that their stances come from a place of Christian privilege.

Many will tell you that they love people of all faiths, or of no faith at all. However, they will sternly object to any opposition to laws like the First Amendment Defense Act 

Because Christianity is the default, in their minds, Christian values should come first, no matter the costs to others.

Challenge to Christian Codes--This one is very important and has affected me very personally.

If you are not a Christian and you show any type of sign of this, you can except public scrutiny.

I once worked for a staffing agency and in part of that, I had to go to networking meetings to market my services. I remember being scared to death when a group led prayer occurred at one of the events. My inner morals will not allow me to pray in public (I don't believe in it) but I was fearful what might happen to my job if people saw me rejecting Christian norms. I still chose to stand firmly on my belief system and was advantaged by the fact that everyone else had their heads down and eyes closed. But still, that fear existed.

Think about how angry a large number of Christians got with the Starbucks red cup fiasco.

Whenever someone is running for political office, it is expected and assumed that they are a Christian. If they aren't, they can expect serious scrutiny from the public as a threat.

It is about these "so called" good Christian morals.

Challenge to Entitlement of Religious Comfort--Christians often do not like the idea of their comfort in their faith being challenged. It is perfectly acceptable to wear crosses and other Christian paraphernalia, to have public Christian prayer and use common Christian language in general. When someone tells you that, hey, these values do not match mine, they often take it as an attack.

A person showcasing their Muslim faith can expect stares, hate and hostility.

Christians do not like to be questioned for their faith or their actions. Certainly, all of us notice that several Christians pick and choose which scripture is applicable to whom and when. If you challenge this, or anything about Christianity, you can expect a trigger of fragility.

Your dissent to their faith, after all, is a threat.

Challenge to Colonialist Relations--Christianity has a long history of colonizing. This is nothing new.

The church in itself has been used to oppress women, people of color, LGBTQ people, people of other faiths and many more.

Christians love to invade spaces. They will jump in with their two cents and their "I will pray for you" completely uninvited. Often times, many Christians will act as if they are entitled to this space.

Challenge to Christian Solidarity--I can't personally attest to it because I am not a Christian. However, I can imagine it does happen. If you are a Christian and you say to a fellow Christian, "hey, your projection is problematic", you will probably face some fragility from them. You, a person of faith, are challenging their faith!

It becomes the faith olympics!

I don't quite see Challenge to Christian Liberalism quite as applicable. However, maybe you might know of an instance? Feel free to share!

Challenge to Christian Authority--Although we are technically a secular nation, you will often hear about us being a Christian country.

Although unfounded, many people claim President Obama is a Muslim. And for that reason, many people are threatened by it! The very idea of someone with a different religion ruling over them just puts the fragility right on their faith.

I am sure if I really looked further into, I could find more micro examples of this challenge.

Challenge to Christian Centrality--Again, with Christian being the default, this one is very common. Christians are expected to be front and center.

I mean attacking someone over Happy Holidays?

If Christmas, Easter and other Christian holidays or events are not front and center, you can best guarantee people will flip out over it. If we aren't saying Merry Christmas and In God We Trust, we are automatically attacking their fragile faith!

I know there are awesome Christians out there. I am sure the Not All Christians camp is ready to chime in. Like with whiteness and masculinity, Christianity has its history of oppression and it currently oppresses today. And although the conservative right will have you believe that Christianity is under attack, just as they will about whiteness and about masculinity, it simply isn't true.

If you are a Christian and are about anti-oppression work, you, like white people and like men, must be ready to challenge your own status quo privilege when the topic of religion is brought up. Not everyone is able to come to terms with it.

Personally, I am not an Atheist. I believe in God. I just don't believe in religion. However, I respect people's right to believe. I really do! But it isn't without challenge and without introspection.

Have a comment? Ever encountered Christian fragility? What does it look like and mean to you?

Much love,
ArchAngel O:)


3 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. They are very self-entitled, defensive and incredibly hypocritical. I think the defensiveness stems from knowing deep within themselves that they might be wrong. Especially since they are aware of the fact they only follow the parts of the Bible that are convenient to them. Those that scream the most are the ones who have never done the research of where and how the Bible came to be. They stand by their belief calling their ignorance Faith. I know this because I was one of them. Then I did the research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more. They are very self-entitled, defensive and incredibly hypocritical. I think the defensiveness stems from knowing deep within themselves that they might be wrong. Especially since they are aware of the fact they only follow the parts of the Bible that are convenient to them. Those that scream the most are the ones who have never done the research of where and how the Bible came to be. They stand by their belief calling their ignorance Faith. I know this because I was one of them. Then I did the research.

    ReplyDelete